College & Career Chat: Mentee
Wednesdays, 4:45 – 5:45 PM ET, on Zoom
NETWORK TO WORK!
We’re thrilled you’re joining us to expand your professional network and gain exposure to industries in need of your talent! College & Career Chats give young women and gender expansive youth access and exposure to industries in need of their talents, while creating opportunities for youth to build their professional networks. There is market demand for stellar communication skills, and Girls Write Now is here to support you in becoming competitive candidates for the trails you choose to blaze.
Arrive at 4:30 for a prep session before engaging with employees, “Mentors for the Day”, from a diverse array of industries. Hear about their alma maters, their personal and professional journeys, their tips for college as it relates to their given field, and have the opportunity to ask questions.
WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT AT A COLLEGE & CAREER CHAT?
4:40pm – 4:45pm Mentees arrive/prep:
- Opening Lines
- Networking Prep
4:45pm – 4:50pm Employees (Mentors for the Day) join Zoom
4:50pm – 4:55pm Opening Lines (like an icebreaker), Write in main room, share in breakout rooms.
4:55pm – 5:35pm (40 min) Breakout Rooms
- Share Opening Lines responses and discuss
- Q & A
5:35pm – 5:45pm Shares, Announcements, Closing, Group Photo, Survey – Mentees/Mentors for the Day
HOW SHOULD I PREPARE FOR A COLLEGE & CAREER CHAT?
QUESTIONS TO ASK “Mentors for the Day”
- What is your day-to-day life like at work?
- What do you enjoy most about your work?
- What is your biggest challenge at your job?
- What skill sets are most important in your role?
- What do you like most about your job or employer?
- What industry trends or changes should I be aware of? What didn’t you know prior to your position that you wish someone had told you?
- If you were in my shoes, what companies or people would you be talking to?
- What’s a hot topic in your industry?
- What are your hot takes?
- What surprised you about this industry?
- How is your industry depicted in film/ television/ books? Do you feel is accurate?
- A global pandemic has shifted the way we work together in both academia and in the workforce. Could you discuss how your company has addressed the spotlight on racial, gender and economic disparities in either your alma mater or your current workplace?
How can you Prep to Network?
- What are you currently doing? School? Volunteering? Gap Year? Employed?
- Where do you hope to be? What steps are you taking to get there?
- What are your strengths?
- What are your interests?
- What do you bring to a job or internship?