Girls Write Now mentors are professional cis women, transgender men and women, non-binary, 2Spirit, genderqueer, and other gender expansive adults from around the nation who rely on strong writing skills in their professions across a wide range of industries. Mentors work with mentees in a structured one-to-one relationship on set curriculum to produce multi-genre, multimedia writing, develop leadership projects, and hone college and career readiness skills with guidance from the Girls Write Now team and community.
5 Reasons to Be a
Girls Write Now Mentor
As a part of the Girls Write Now Collaboratory, mentors will…
- Form a one-to-one mentoring relationship with a cis women, transgender men and women, non-binary, 2Spirit, genderqueer, or other gender expansive young adult, exploring and expanding your creative potential together—often over a lifetime!
- Expand and diversify your writing, communication and digital skills through comprehensive curricula that centers wellness and channels storytelling into change.
- Receive professional development training and compassionate support from knowledgeable staff, expert advisors and seasoned mentors—including guidance around Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging, mental health, and mentoring.
- Develop your professional networks and access job, internship and writing opportunities, including connecting with companies across industries, from publishing to entertainment to finance and beyond.
- Make friends, grow and create in community with thousands of folks who are passionate about writing and making change just like you.
Meet Our Multigenerational Community of Mentors & Explore Their Author Pages
In the Girls Write Now Community, You’ll Have Access to…
PUBLICATION & PERFORMANCE OPPORTUNITIES
Amplifying voices is the heart of our mission, so every community member has an Author Page on our site! Mentees will also have opportunities to show off their best work in our annual anthology and performance series.
Exciting events with STAR-POWERED SPEAKERS
We bring in expert storytellers and media makers as teaching artists and make space for mentees to chat with mega-mentors like Shonda Rhimes, Roxane Gay, Allison Davis and more celebrated champions of our mission.
Creative & College/Career RESOURCES
In our digital Community Hub, you’ll get access to a library of writing prompts, editing tips and more! We also share numerous scholarship, internship and job opportunities from our vast network across industries.