College & Career Chat: “Mentor for the Day”
Wednesdays, 4:45pm – 5:45pm ET, on Zoom
Partnering to Encourage a Diverse Pipeline of Talent: Thank You for Volunteering!
Interested in joining us to cultivate a pipeline of diverse talent into your industry?
College & Career Chats give young women and gender-expansive youth access and exposure to industries in need of their talents, while creating opportunities for youth to build their professional networks. There is market demand for stellar communication skills, and—in partnership with you, and our corporate partners—Girls Write Now can meet it, supporting youth in becoming creative thinkers, clear writers, and competitive candidates for the trails they choose to blaze.
As a, “Mentor for the Day”, you have the opportunity to pass on your passion and wisdom as guest speakers in our intimate College & Career Chats. Acting as ambassadors for your alma maters or industry, you will share your personal and professional journeys, and offer tips for college as it relates to your given field.
Mentee participants are 14 yrs old +, a mix of high school/ college students and early career professionals.
INTERESTED IN VOLUNTEERING AS A “MENTOR FOR THE DAY”?
Please email Erica Silberman, Director of Curriculum and Engagement (email@example.com) or Marisa Cazanave, Director of Community Initiatives (firstname.lastname@example.org), regarding your interest in participating as a speaker.
Information about date availability, registration and zoom link information will follow.
WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT IN A COLLEGE & CAREER CHAT?
AGENDA ***Please join the Zoom meeting by 4:50 PM.
4:40pm-4:45pm Mentees arrive
4:45pm- 4:50pm Employees (Mentors for the Day) join Zoom
- Please rename yourself on Zoom with the first 3 letters of your company name, or abbreviated company name in front of your name; your pronouns after your name; and the phonetic pronunciation of your first name, e.g.: GWN, Erica S., she/her, (Air-ih-kuh)
- To rename yourself, click on participants at the bottom of your screen. Find your name, click more, and hit rename. Or go to your square, hover over the 3 dots in the top right corner and click on Rename.
- If you have any issues with wifi or any other challenges please text Erica Silberman: 646.319.3892
- If you did not receive a Zoom registration email with a link to the meeting, please let us know:
- marisa @girlswritenow.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
4:50pm – 4:55pm Opening Lines (like an icebreaker). Write in main room but will share in breakout rooms.
4:55pm – 5:35pm (40 min) Breakout Rooms
- Share Opening Lines responses and discuss
- Q & A
5:35pm – 5:45pm Shares, Announcements, Closing, Group Photo, Survey – Mentees/Mentors for the Day
III. BREAKOUT ROOM SUGGESTED TALKING POINTS
- Introductions: Take turns sharing names, pronouns, job title/year in school, Opening Lines
- Professional journey: Talk about your professional journey, the industry you work in and how you use writing in your job. Are you a writer? Do you write in your spare time? What led you to pursue this career? Does your career align with your passions and strengths? Any bumps in the road? Best/Most challenging thing about your career?
- Question and Answer: Participants will either unmute, or drop questions for you into the chat. Please read the question aloud before answering so everyone knows which question you are addressing.
- College/Career Tips: Any advice for someone choosing their college major? Any tips/tricks about determining which career path is the best fit, etc.?
- Hot Topics/ Hot Takeaways: A global pandemic has shifted the way we work together, our educational goals and has placed front and center how we think about Diversity, Equity & Inclusion in our workplace and academic institutions. How has your company addressed these hot topics in your industry/ company culture? What differences are you noticing in your alma mater from when you matriculated to what you hear is happening now on campus and in their admissions?
- Reading Recommendations: Books, articles, movies or podcasts that have inspired you in your career. You can drop them into the chat or we can add them to the Lesson Plan if we have them ahead of time.
IV. BREAKOUT ROOM GENERAL NOTES: A GWN Staff member will not be in your breakout room. You are the facilitator and will be leading the thought provoking discussion in your room.
- Support once in breakout rooms: An “Ask for Help” button is at the bottom of your screen once you’re in breakout rooms. Click that button, then click “invite host.” GWN staff will be alerted.
- Breakout room distribution: We cannot predict the number of Mentees who will be participating. It’s possible you could be in a room with just one or two Mentees.
- Timed messages: We will send timed messages to keep you on track. Five minutes before your breakout room session ends, we will message your breakout room that it’s time to start wrapping up.
- Email sharing: For safety and tracking purposes, please do not share your email with Mentees. If a Mentee asks if they can contact you, for more feedback or to follow up with you about some career questions, please tell them to let email@example.com know of their interest—or you can let them know you will reach out to me. This is only if you are comfortable with continuing your conversation or feedback. Please share my email if they are seeking more help with their personal statement.