Thank you to the mentees and mentors for participating in this awesome program and making this mini-universe real. It sounds like a fantasy, too good for this world. A place where women and girls meet to write and discuss writing. Incredible. —ILANA GLAZER, Co-creator & Co-star, Broad City, and winner of the Girls Write Now 2017 Groundbreaker Award
Our Fifth Annual Girls Write Now Awards broke records with five incredible honorees and a sold out space.
Editor-in-Chief of Teen Vogue Elaine Welteroth and Girls Write Now mentee Daleelah Saleh were our emcees as we presented our prestigious awards to: Zadie Smith, Author of Swing Time; Sophia Amoruso, Author & Founder of Girlboss; Ilana Glazer and Abbi Jacobson, co-creators and co-stars of Broad City; and Melissa Harris-Perry, the Maya Angelou Presidential Chair at Wake Forest University. For inspiration, take heart in the wisdom of our honorees (see their words below).
ZADIE SMITH: How marvelous to create an organization that makes writing a regular possibility for hundreds of girls.
SOPHIA AMORUSO: Keep writing. You’ll find yourself in your writing.
MELISSA HARRIS-PERRY: You have to be what you’ve never seen before. You have to write it.
ABBI JACOBSON: Girls Write Now is arming girls with the tools to tell their stories and express what is going on in the world and in their lives and we need that more than ever, more than ever before we need that right now.
- Check out photos that capture the night’s festivities
- Hear from our award-winning honorees by watching their inspiring speeches and viewing their Q&As
- Watch mentee Natalie Mojica’s incredible reading
- Learn about Rise Speak Change: Girls Write Now 2017 Anthology, which was launched at this year’s event
- Elle and JustJared covered the Awards
- Twitter was abuzz with highlights from the night!
- View the Fifth Annual Girls Write Now Awards Program
Special thanks to our generous sponsors: