“On Day of the Girl, we showed the world the power of women’s voices. Together, we brought to light the importance of equal pay, diversity in publishing, and sharing our stories—all while raising funds to make sure the next generation of women leads the way. Everyone in the room felt the positive energy. You made this happen. Thank you!“—Maya Nussbaum, Founder & Executive Director
Thank you for supporting Girls Write Now on Day of the Girl at DVF Studios. The downpour of rain didn’t stop guests from filling the room. We are grateful for the tremendous support of our Board of Directors and our 20th Anniversary Sponsors and Host Committee (see list below). Guests were treated to inspiring keynotes from Honorary Chair, Amy Berkower of Writers House, and Honorees Tomi Adeyemi, NYT bestselling author of Children of Blood and Bone, and Phoebe Robinson, NYT bestselling author of Everything’s Trash But It’s Okay and HBO’s 2 Dope Queens. The event was co-emceed by Samhita Mukhopadhyay of Teen Vogue and Girls Write Now mentee Jolie-Amour Dubose-Morris with performances from one of our pairs, mentee Gianny Guzman and her mentor Hermione Hoby.
Press, Photos & Social Media
- Mentee Gianny Guzman reads her piece “What I Know” along side mentor Hermione Hoby
- Honorary Chair, Amy Berkower Speech
- Honoree, Tomi Ayedemi Speech
- Honoree, Phoebe Robinson Speech
- Introduction from emcees Samhita Mukhopadhyay and Jolie-Amour DuBose-Morris with speeches from GWN board member, Ellen Archer and GWN staff member and mentee alum iemi Hernandez-Kim