We’ve been so delighted and flattered to see how many members of our community have been fundraising for Girls Write Now during this holiday appeal! It’s made a big difference for us on our way to our goal — we couldn’t do it without you!
If you’ve already started fundraising and are running out of steam or just struggling not to sound repetitive, never fear! Here’s a few handy tips and tricks on how to get people’s attention (and support):
- Breaking News: If you see an article or news piece relevant to Girls Write Now (e.g. education, girl’s education, STEM/tech), use that as a hook.
- Thanks & Praise: If you’re sharing your First Giving page on Facebook or another platform again, tag everyone who’s already given. It shows that other people care, and it’s a nice thank you for those who’ve given already.
- Share the Score: Share your goal or Girls Write Now’s goal and how close you are. Asking for a donation is more meaningful when it’s clear what the impact of even $10 will be.
- Spread the Word: Ask people to share the link even if they can’t give themselves — many donations come from extended networks.
- Gift Away: If you’re up for it, you can use your page as a Christmas gift portal and ask people to give to your page instead of getting you something.
- She’s the Star: Are you a mentor? Consider your page as an opportunity to share your mentee’s story. Your mentee and why she’s special to you are why people give.
Any questions or concerns, or just want a sounding board? Mentors, get in touch with Samantha Carlin, PM Mentor and Mentor Fundraising Chair — she’s here to help! Not a mentor? Contact Communications Manager Laura Cheung.