To celebrate the launch of our newest publication, Taking Our Place in History: The 2020 Girls Write Now Anthology (Get your copy now from McNally Jackson) we aired a special episode of Girls Write Now Live!
A selection of our talented mentees—now published writers—read their multi-genre work, paying homage to our personal and collective histories for one remarkably inspiring evening. The show was emceed by Jisu Kim, Anthology Committee C0-Chair and more members of our 2020 Anthology Committee also joined to speak about the editorial process behind the book.
Girls Write Now is grateful to Amazon Literary Partners for making this collection possible with their longstanding charitable contribution. A special thanks to the team at Dutton for their partnership in producing the book—Christine Ball, Maya Ziv, Marya Pasciuto, and Hannah Feeney—and to Jamia Wilson at Feminist Press for producing the e-book.
In order of performance, mentees featured this evening include:
- Abena Wirekoh; poem,”Because This is My First Life”
- Nora Knoepflmacher; fiction, “Those Who Came Before”
- Jadah Jones; poem, “Not Anymore”
- Gyana Guity; memoir, “A Guide to Making History”
- Tori Phelps; memoir, “Reclaiming My Time”
- Gianny Guzman; memoir, “A Letter”
- Sunei Clarke; memoir, “relating to, derived from, or consisting of matter: having real importance or great consequences”
- Mai Listokin; fiction, “Goodbye Berlin”
- Kristina Dawoud; memoir, “A Place in History”
- Claudia Sanchez-Jean; memoir, “An Ode To Who We Will Be”
- Ria Parker; memoir, “A Tribute to Myself”
- Lulu Sha; fiction, “Evacuation”
- Mariama Diallo; poem, “The Illusion Of Inclusion”
Check out the full Girls Write Now Live 2020 lineup!
Girls Write Now Live is presented in partnership with the New-York Historical Society. We’d also like to extend our gratitude to Judith Curr of HarperCollins, Christine Ball of Dutton, and Tiffany and Amber Davis of Context & Co for their help with this program.