Submissions are rolling, and open year-round! You can share as much work as you’d like to be published on Stories by Girls Write Now and featured on your author page. Submissions are accepted through the Girls Write Now portal.
WITH EVERY SUBMISSION, YOU WILL NEED TO PROVIDE…
- A title
- An introduction: 1-2 sentences that will appear below your title and above your piece to draw the reader into your work or offer any additional context they may need before reading. Limited to 35 words.
- Your process: Write a paragraph or two walking the reader through your inspiration and development. What tools did you use? Did a workshop inspire this piece? Did you learn something along the way? No word limit! You may also include media for this section.
- Select up to 3 Topic tags: What is the submission about? What themes do you cover?
- Select up to 3 Genre/Medium tags: What kind of writing and/or media comprises this submission?What section(s) should it appear under on the site?
- Select up to 3 Tone tags: How might your submission feel to a reader?
AUTHORs & BYLINES
Who can submit work to be published in Stories?
Where can I find my Author Page?
Each mentee, mentor or alum who submits work will have a public-facing author page on the site at www.girlswritenow.org/author/first-last (replace with your name!). If you are new to the community for the 2023-24 program year, your page will be added soon. Thank you for your patience!
If you would like to update your Author Page, please do so here.
Can I publish anonymously or use a pen name?
Yes, please make sure to submit a separate author page form for this name.
What is a pair piece? When should mentors be included in the byline for a submission?
A pair piece is one where both mentee and mentor each contribute their thought, voice and writing or production work to the final product.
WHAT TO SUBMIT
What types of media/writing can I submit?
If you sourced free audio or visuals for your piece, please ensure you have permission to publish it and be prepared to credit the original creators. (Ex: Music Credit: “Clarity,” by Samantha Holmes).
- Text must be shared as a link to a Google Doc
- If you’re submitting multimedia work with written elements (like a script), please share the written portion as a Google Doc so that we can ensure accessibility on our website.
- ❗DOUBLE CHECK YOUR SHARING PERMISSIONS❗
- Is the Google Doc set to allow anyone with the link to view? Instructions are below.
- Click Share or Share Get link.
- Under “Get Link,” click Change to anyone with link.
- Select View.
- Click Done.
- Copy and paste the link into the Submission Form.
- See an example of a text submission here.
- Audio files must be uploaded as an .mp4, .mp3, .m4a or .wma file.
- Please do not submit audio as a Spotify or Anchor link; download the file from these platforms to upload directly.
- See an example of an audio submission here.
- Image files must be formatted as .png, .jpg, .jpeg, .heic or .gif.
- Images should be at least 800 pixels wide.
- Horizontal and square dimensions will look best on the site, but we will also be able to accommodate vertical images.
- If you plan to submit multiple media files, filenames must be numbered to ensure we upload them in the correct order. (Ex: dandelion 1.jpg, dandelion 2.jpg).
- See an example of an image submission here.
- Video submissions must be uploaded to Google Drive, Dropbox or another cloud sharing site where we can download them. The form will ask you to share a link, not upload a file because videos are large!
- Horizontal and square dimensions will look best on the site, but we will also be able to accommodate vertical videos.
- See an example of a video submission here.
- Links may be submitted to external blogs, websites, social media accounts or posts.
- To share code or programming, please use repl.it.
- Please ensure features, forms, or interactive elements have been tested and are running smoothly.
- See an example of an interactive media submission here.
Which medium/genre, topic, and tone categories can I choose from?
Note: You are limited to three tags per section, so please choose the most relevant options only.
Do I need permission to include images or media I did not create?
Yes. Please be mindful of copyright so that we don’t infringe upon the work of other creators. You may not use Google, Pinterest or social media for images unless you get direct permission from the original creator to share the image with your work.
Does your work reference or include someone else’s creative work or likeness? If yes, you must acquire permission from that entity or ensure that you can use the work under fair use or creative commons licensing. If you have questions about copyright or fair use, please see this guide from Google.
Is there a word limit?
Can I submit an excerpt of a piece?
Yes, please make sure to give adequate context in the introduction.
Can I submit a piece I’ve published elsewhere?
Can I include a trigger warning?
Yes. We ask writers to tell us when their depicts or discusses sensitive topics like those listed below. To allow you to write uncensored about sensitive material and create a trauma-informed environment for free expression, the Girls Write Now website will show a brief Content/Trigger Warning to allow readers to make an informed decision to continue on.
- Body shaming/Fatphobia
- Death (terminal illness, murder, suicide, animal death, death of parent, etc.)
- LGBTQIA+phobia (homophobia, biphobia, transphobia, misgendering, outing, etc.)
- Mental Illness (depression, anxiety, panic attacks, eating disorders, addiction, substance abuse disorder, self-harm, suicidal ideation, etc.)
- Racial or Religious Discrimination (xenophobia, racial profiling, police brutality, genocide, slavery, hate crimes, racial slurs, microagressions, racial trauma, etc.)
- Sexual content (sex, masturbation, etc.)
- Violence or Abuse (bullying, torture, physical/verbal/emotional abuse, violent sexual assault/rape, child abuse/neglect, abusive/toxic relationships, gun violence, war, gore, etc.)
PLEASE NOTE: Your flagged sensitive topics will be reviewed by GWN staff and editorial team, who maintain the right to add a content/trigger warning, at their discretion, to any submitted piece that will appear on the GWN website or in print materials. We will contact you to give notice and confirm the wording prior to publication.
Thank you for your courage and vulnerability—writing about these things is never easy, but always necessary.
Is there a submission limit?
No! We encourage you to share anything and everything you’re proud of!
What are the rights & terms I need to agree to to submit? Will I still own my original work?
When submitting your work to Girls Write Now you hereby grant Girls Write Now a royalty-free, worldwide, nonexclusive right to publish, reproduce, display, distribute, archive and use your submitted work, either separately or as part of a collective work, on the Girls Write Now website, Girls Write Now’s social media accounts, in a printed publication, or elsewhere.
You also hereby grant Girls Write Now the right to create derivative works of your submitted work to promote and/or market your submitted work.
You retain ownership of all rights under copyright in the submitted work, and all rights not expressly granted in this agreement.
You also certify that:
- (i) you are the sole author of the submitted work, have full authority to enter into this agreement and in granting rights to Girls Write Now are not in breach of any other obligations;
- (ii) the submitted work is your original work and, if relevant, you have secured the necessary permissions to use any non-original images, audio, quotes, graphics, etc. in your original work and that they are properly attributed to the original source(s); and
- (iii) the submitted work contains nothing that is unlawful, libelous or which would, if published, constitute a breach of contract or of commitment given to secrecy or confidentiality,
- (iv) the submitted work does not contain hateful speech or imagery, defined as any language, logo, symbol or image that has the intention to promote hostility against people on the basis of race, religious affiliation, disability, sexual orientation, gender/gender identity or ethnicity/national origin.
HOW TO SUBMIT
How do I use the Portal to submit my work to Stories or the print anthology?
EDITING & PUBLICATION
What happens after I submit my work?
Can I volunteer to help with editorial?
How long will it take for my submission to be published on the site?
At this phase of growing our new publishing platform, we’re doing our very best to publish your work with the care it deserves, which does slow down the process a bit. We’re so grateful for your patience, and if you do wish to expedite a piece for the purpose of an application or contest, please reach out to Emily Mendelson on Slack.